“I love hamburgers and tropical fruit, so it just seemed natural for me to combine them. My family frequently requests this unique Hawaiian pineapple burger recipe. It’s a nice change of pace!” —Joi McKim-Jones, Waikoloa, Hawaii
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1 can sliced pineapple 8 ounces
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 sesame seed or onion buns split and toasted
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 bacon strips cooked
- Drain pineapple juice into a small bowl; add teriyaki sauce. Place 3 tablespoons in a resealable plastic bag. Add pineapple slices; toss to coat and set aside.
- Shape beef into four patties; place in an 8-in. square baking dish. Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce mixture over patties; marinate for 5-10 minutes, turning once.
- Remove burger patties from marinade; discard marinade. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 5 minutes; set aside.
- Remove pineapple slices from marinade; discard marinade. Place pineapple on grill or under broiler to heat through. Layer bottom buns with lettuce and onion. Top with burgers, cheese, pineapple and bacon. Replace tops.
1 burger: 513 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fibre), 33g protein.