Chef Jason Townes, from Ryan Duffy’s in Halifax, serves wild-caught Pacific salmon with adobo marinade. Strong-flavoured salmon can handle a piquant sauce well.
- 2 Poblano peppers or bell
- 3 Jalapeño peppers
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 clove garlic whole
- 3 sticks cinnamon broken
- 12 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Roast poblano and jalapeño peppers; remove stems and seeds.
- Heat canola oil in a saucepan and add sliced onion, minced garlic clove, whole cloves, broken cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns and ground cumin.
- Cook until onion is golden brown. Add the peppers and cook another few minutes.
- Add water and reduce by half.
- Press through a medium-mesh sieve. Discard the solids. Allow to cool.